Monday, April 2, 2012

Meet Reese

On Saturday, I took a trip to the Art Institute (please go if you get the chance!) and had the wonderful opportunity to meet Reese, a 22 year-old master's student at DePaul University, who grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago. When we began talking, we bonded over the fact that we both study English, and, of course, the fact that we love the Art Institute (after our conversation, I had the chance to take a look at her favorite painting, Allegory of Peace and War, while I was there, which was awesome!). 
She is also an amazing makeup artist for Louis Vuitton (can't you tell by her rad makeup?!).
Perhaps the most fascinating and inspirational part of my conversation with Reese was finding out that she is a performing artist... As a child, Reese was severely burned, so much so that her hands were deformed, her fingers melded together. Thankfully, she was treated for it, but she remained afraid of fire. Last year, Reese made a decision to try and tackle her fear by becoming a fire eater. Yes, a fire eater. 
I was honestly moved when I met Reese, and I hope that you are as well. She is a smart, beautiful and inspirational person, and I can't express how lucky I am to have met her. Thank you, Reese, for taking the time to talk to a stranger.

2 comments:

  1. Mariam; it's Reese-I sent you an email I hope you received it! It was such a gift to meet you--thank you so much for the kind words and hopefully we can keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind email, Reese. I look forward to meeting you again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...